£25,000 - £30,000pa + 10% bonus
A Graduate Java Web Developer with a degree at 2:1 or better in a relevant field, such as Software Engineering, Computer science, or similar is required for a FinTech IT Software Company on a permanent basis in Newbury.
Role: Graduate Java Web Developer
Salary: £25,000 - £30,000pa + 10% bonus
Our client is a fast-paced, growing FinTech Company and the leading UK provider of financial planning and advice technology.
Working with over 80% of large financial institutions in the UK, our client's white labelled solutions were used by approximately 200,000 consumers and financial advisers in 2017.
The benefits of joining our exciting team
As well as offering fantastic opportunities for career progression, you will be joining a friendly and relaxed working environment where you will be continuously supported and encouraged to reach your full potential. We have an open culture where you are encouraged to find and fix problems and not to pass them on to some other team. We’re a great environment for makers and builders.
Sound like you? They have fantastic benefits, including:
- 25 days annual leave, bank holidays, one extra ‘company day’ for Christmas plus the option to buy a further five days annual leave
- Generous company pension scheme – up to 10% employer contribution
- Private medical
- Long-term disability and Life Insurance
- Study support policy
- Free parking
- A huge range of free hot and cold drinks
- Excellent fully funded company events
- Monthly osteopath sessions
- Monthly car valeting
- Company football team and Table Tennis team
- Quarterly Poker nights with pizza!
- The opportunity to support local charities through fundraising events organised throughout the year
We are on the lookout for highly motivated Java graduate web developers within our client’s development team. The job offers the opportunity to be responsible for the ongoing development, support and maintenance of our client’s market-leading stochastic modelling solutions to the financial services industry.
They have open security and collective ownership - you don't ask someone to fix something, you fix it yourself where possible. You have access to see how stuff works and play with it.
They are lean and agile in the lower case sense. Technical decisions are usually delegated and meetings are kept to a minimum. You get requirements and responsibility for figuring out how to implement them.
They believe in achievers getting recognized and this is reflected in the flexibility being offered with hours and their fantastic bonus system. In fact, they have such a great approach to the employee experience we are one of the shortlisted companies for the Employee Experience Awards!
What you will be doing
As one of the developers within the development team, you as part of the development team will be responsible for the development, maintenance and implementation of our client's web applications, both frontend and backend, mostly using Java and SQL.
You will be working hand in hand with senior members of the development team, Web designers, Business Analysts and Actuarial testers to develop and deploy our client’s products.
You will be expected to work with the team to deliver high quality, robust solutions on schedule.
Required Knowledge and Experience
- Solid understanding of Java, and OO programming principles, such as when to use an interface versus an abstract class
- You’ve probably used the Java Collections Framework in your course. They use collections extensively, so we need someone who understands both the API and the underlying data structures.
- All of their applications are web-based, so we’re looking for someone with experience building for the web. If you have projects that you’ve worked on, we’d love to see it.
- Their production MySQL instance has storage in the hundreds of gigabytes. They aren’t looking for a SQL expert, but they do need someone capable of writing queries; using joins, and other CRUD operations.
- It’s great if you’ve used anything in their ecosystem, which includes things like Jenkins, Eclipse, git, SVN, MySQL, Tomcat, Vaadin, Jersey, Jackson, Ubuntu, OpenNebula and docker.
- If you ever wanted to use your GCSE economics, this is your chance. Their software answers people’s financial questions, so any background in financial services or pensions would be helpful.
- They move quickly, so fast learners and analytic thinkers - whether for processes or technical skills have a huge advantage.
They will consider self-taught programmers with sufficient documented experience, but generally, they are looking for a degree at 2:1 or better in a relevant field, such as Software Engineering, Computer science, or similar.
If you want to be part of a business that is looking to shape the future of financial services, contact us today!
Send your CV ASAP – Further Details on Application
Orbis Resourcing Ltd acts as an employment agency and an employment business.